The Andrews Government is supporting Victoria Police with the largest single investment in the history of the force.
We’re giving Victoria Police the resources and the powers they need to crack down on crime.
- 3135 new police with the first officers to be deployed in early 2017. This is on top of about 450 that join the force to replace those who have left.
- 100 new PSOs to boost mobile patrols
- a new 24-hour police assistance line
- a new airwing
- a dedicated training facility for specialist police
- ending the trade in stolen cars by banning cash for scrap metal
- community safety networks to give Victorians more say
We are also introducing:
• Tough new laws to deal with perpetrators of carjackings and home invasions, ensuring there are tough minimum mandatory sentences and a presumption against bail.
• Comprehensive reforms to the youth justice system to crack down on youth crime, including longer detention periods and more intensive control programs.
• A major shake-up for our bail system.
Sign up to keep up with the latest news on how the Andrews Government is giving Victoria Police the resources and powers they need.
For more details see the Andrews Government's Community Safety Statement here: http://www.vic.gov.au/community-safety-statement-2017